Strategies to Manage Challenging Behavior and Improve Executive Functioning Skills
October 27, 2014 - Dr. Tony Attwood
"Cognitive Abilities: A Different Way of Thinking and Learning Profile,"
This entertaining and informative presentation features the unusual profile of cognitive abilities associated with Asperger’s syndrome. This profile is described with an emphasis on intellectual abilities, problems with executive function, attention and weak central coherence. Numerous, practical strategies are described to improve attention, organizational skills and academic achievement for the student/child with Asperger's Syndrome.
"Managing Challenging Behaviors in Children with Autism,"
The dynamic presentation focuses on children and adolescents with classic autism and provides an explanation and strategies with regard to repetitive behavior, emotion management and the development of effective communication systems for emotions. The application of Cognitive Behavior Therapy to children with severe autism is discussed and how it can be applied to such individuals. The presentation will include strategies to help with self-injurious behavior and the improvement of social understanding and coping with change. You will leave the presentation with strategies that can be implemented in the classroom or at home today!
- Understand the profile of cognitive abilities associated with Asperger's Syndrome.
- Describe how executive functioning impacts individuals with ASD at home, school or in the community.
- Identify strategies that can be used to teach and support executive functioning.
- Define Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and how it can be applied to individuals with ASD.
- Identify strategies to manage challenging behavior for individuals with ASD.
Embassy Suites San Marcos, Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, 1001 East McCarty Lane, San Marcos, TX 78666, Phone: 512.392.6450.
A limited block of rooms is available for $139 until October 4th. Please reference group code AUT when registering.
- 8:00 - 8:45 Check-In
- 8:45 - 9:00 Welcome
- 9:00 - 10:15 Speaker
- 10:15 - 10:45 Break
- 10:45 - 12:00 Speaker
- 12:00 - 1:00 Lunch **(on your own)
- 1:00 - 2:15 Speaker
- 2:15 - 2:45 Break
- 2:45 - 4:00 Speaker
- Graduate Credit (1-2 credits) is optional and available through Marian University. A syllabus and detailed information is available at www.peakconferencegroup.com.
- Texas CPE for Educators (CPE #902180) - 5 clock hours
- Texas Occupational Therapy (TOTA) CEUs** - 5 hours of Type 1 Education
- Speech & Language (ASHA) - This program is offered for 0.5 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level: Professional Area)
- Social Worker (ASWB) - 5 continuing education hours of credit.
- Psychologist (APA) - 5 continuing education hours of credit.
- Licensed Professional Counselors (NBCC ) - 5 continuing education hours of credit.
- Certificate of Attendance
* All participants will receive a certificate of attendance. Only those participants registering and paying the “Professional Rate” are eligible to receive Professional
- Professional Rate - $150
- Parent Rate - $125
Payment by CC, Check & Purchase Order is Accepted